Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Very Long Day on Very Little Sleep

7-28-08 / 7-29-08
Okay, so... I am typing on a crazy french keyboard. I had no idea, the letters are all mixed up.
My trip to Romania was a hard one. My trains didn't work out, meaning I had to wait at the Bucaresti train station over night for nine hours... scary. To top that off, my phone died so I could not contact my friend Andreea if I needed help. Luckily I survived, I just couldn't sleep or speak. If I slept all my stuff would be gone when I woke; if I spoke, people would know I was not Romanian and American, creating more trouble. It was very stressful, but very good (in a strange way). It pushed me to think practically and to think past my fears. It was not something I would want to do again, but it worked out.
The Romanian train rides were very beautiful. The country side is so beautiful and everything is such a mixture of old and new, it is so interesting. It gives every place such character when a horse drawn carriage is being pulled down the highway next to a brand new Logan car (Logan is the Lexus of the states, it is a very popular car) or when the cows are brought home, through the main street of town, by the gypsys at promptly 8:30 every night. It is such an interesting and wonderful place.
Anyway, after traveling for 26 hours by train I arrived in Cluj where Andreea picked me up and we went back to her grandparents house. I was imediately treated with such great hospitality, it was phanominal.
...
more to come soon. it is 1 am here in belguim (where i currently am) and i am waking early to go to Fontaine Bleau (a lovely climbing area) in the morning with some friends I am staying with here in Brussels.
I promise I will finish Romania and get totally caught up this weekend so you all can know what is happening instead of what happened last week.
Until sooner than later,
Ciao

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow chelsea, What an experience. Everyday I pray for your safety and hold you close in my heart.Sounds like you handled the situation with wisdom...Always trust your intuition. Love, Mom

Mother Ship said...

Chelsea,
I finally found your blog and am so happy to hear about your journey. Foriegn keyboards, aren't they a trip? Especially when you are paying by the minute to use them. Did you drink from the public fountains? I think some are fed from the original aqueducts. We were told it may make us sick, but I am sorry I didn't try some.
How did you like the stylishly dressed Italian women on their motorcylces? Did you throw a coin in the Trevi Fountain?
Romania. Isn't Count Dracula from there?
Now that I am home from China I am glued to the Olympic coverage in China. Is all of Europe excited or ignoring it?
Now Following YOur Every Move,
Becky