Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Redditch

I think when they say "Sunny England" they mean the people, and not the weather. I rarely saw the sun but every person I stayed with was so incredibly kind and offered so much, it made my entire trip to England spectacular - despite the rain.
In Redditch, I stayed with Pete and Moya, Dave's parents. They were both so kind to allow me to stay in their home and to show me all around the Midlands. The first day I was there we drove all around the country side looking at English-style cottages. It was really neat to see homes that were built before the American colonies had even gained independence. It put a new perspective on "old", the cottages I saw are older than the United States... 
The tour first took us to Stafford, Shakespeare's birthplace. We toured Anne Hathaway's cottage and walked all around town. Anne Hathaway's cottage was beautiful. The front garden was filled with flowers taller than me, with vibrant colors. After we around Stafford for a while, filled with the Royal Shakespeare Company and rich with Shakespeare's history, we went to a town called Chipping Campden and then Broadway. The old-style homes were beautiful. Instead of the white and black of Stafford and many other areas, these homes were a yellow stone that glistened in the sun (which, unfortunately, we did not see much of). They were so beautiful against the green grass and dark sky, it was really a treat to see the sun shine on them. My whole time in Redditch was fairly rainy. 
The next day Pete and Rachel (Dave's sister) and I went to Warwick Castle. It was really fun. I have never seen a real castle, so it was a treat, indeed! It was so neat to see the rooms and stairs and imagine what life would have been like there so long ago. At the castle, they had show-type entertainment every hour somewhere in or around the castle walls. One of the shows we saw was Birds of Prey- there were two types of eagles, an owl, and a vulture in the show. It was fascinating watching the birds fly so elegantly with the wind and struggle to climb upwards to the castle walls. I was very glad we went to Warwick.
The next day I decided to do a day trip to Bath Spa, where the ancient Roman baths are. I had a really super time in Bath. I did not have a lot of time to spend there so I decided to do a bus tour - the kind where you can sit in the open on the top of the bus. It was a really great way to see the city because I got to hear the history of the buildings and I was able to learn and see a lot more than I would have had I just been walking.
The next day is the day I decided my new wardrobe should be more green, and by that I do not mean environmentally friendly. :-) Despite the washing mistake, the day turned out to be spectacular. For those of you who have heard of Old Greg, I was introduced to the British comedy show "The Mighty Boosh" where the five minute clip comes from. It is a fantastic show! Dave told me it would blow my mind away, but I had no idea... Dave, Bob (Dave's house mate), and I watched several episodes of Boosh along with several other British comedy shows. It was a fantastic evening. 
The next day I had breakfast with Dave, packed my things, and then Bob ran with me to the station so I could catch my train to Penrith, the English Lake District.
A swell time in the small town of Redditch.

No comments: