Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Copenhagen and Ostersund

08-30-08 to 09-03-08
day one-
I had some very good train rides today. On my first train, I met a wonderfully nice chap from England who lives and works in the Netherlands as a designer- architectual and interior design. He made the first part of the train really good. The second half of the train ride was really good because the train was put on a boat and everyone had to get out of the train and go to the upper decks of the boat for the crossing. ¨Welcome to Denmark.¨ I got to see the sun set over the water from the boat and white jellyfish swim in the dark water. It was an incredibly good train ride to Copenhagen. When I arrived, Mikkel and his flat mate Casper where ready to pick me up and place me into the Copenhagen night culture- on this night, it was street parties. Whole blocks were consumed with people and music and food, some even little fires. Because I do not drink, it was a bit odd at first, but in a city where bikes are scattered up and down the roads, on the sidewalks and against buildings, it did not take me to long to adjust.
day two-
Today is the day I was supposed to go to Sweden but did not. As it turns out, I had to make a reservation on the train I was going to take and the train was already full. Ooops. So, while at the train station, I booked my ticket for the next day. Instead of riding a train to Stockholm and then Ostersund, I went to the coast in Copenhagen and enjoyed the sun. It was another good day in Copenhagen - sunny weather and good company (Mikkel and friends).
In the evening, Casper cooked a wonderful dinner and I prepared myself for the long train ride the next day with sleep.
day three-
Off to Ostersund, Sweden!
Over twelve hours of train rides led me to Ostersund, a small city by a big lake. There are so many lakes everywhere in Sweden! It is crazy! Upon my arrival in Ostersund, I was very fortunate to meet Andrew, a chap from Australia working in Rotviken looking for uranium and other minerals in the ground to be mined. It was already dark when I got to Ostersund and I did not know how I was going to get to the camp ground, then I met Andrew, a fellow traveler. He was kind enough to take me to the house he shared with the other guys he works with and feed me. It was really nice. He has so many fantastic travel stories too! Today was a great start to Sweden.
day four-
Rain. A nice, lazy day. I feel even more fortunate today for meeting Andrew, as I would be camping in the cold rain if I had not met him (and it is cold!).
day five-
A short travel day to Trondheim, Norway.
Now the adventures really begin...

No comments: