Friday, July 25, 2008

Rome (day one)

Well, I made it (at last) to Rome. It was a long plane ride and many hours of waiting... but I made it at 11:00 pm Rome time and went straight to bed. :-)
Today I went around town and saw the Colosseum and other must see things in the area. I think tomorrow I will go to Vatican City and wander around. I am staying in North Rome, so it is a bit of a journey to get into town, but it is an interesting one. I was expecting things to be much different here than what it is. Outside of the city center, Rome reminds me more of a big city in a third world country. There is graffiti everywhere and all the buildings are so old and falling apart. In the nicer part of the city (more towards the city proper) there are vinders of every kind everywhere. It is really interesting. Some parts of the city are really big but I mostly avoided those areas so as to not get directionally confused in an area where I don't know the language. So, I mostly just stuck to the super touristy areas. I made a chum of myself... a classic tourist mistake- nothing is free. There were a bunch of people dressed as roman soldiers asking people if they wanted their photos taken with them. Since they were using my camera, I assumed it would be free, but, of course, it was not.
I was proud of myself on the metro, though. I only made one mistake and I got of f at the exit after I made the mistake (wrong direction) and got on the right train. A small mistake. Although it was a short day (it is 14:00 and I am back at the hostel) it was a great first day. I think I will get the hang of this soon...
I am really looking forward to Romania and visiting my friend Andreea there. I am glad I will know someone there. It is hard being in a country where I don't know the language or any person, but it is good. This trip will be a very good learning experience.
I am out, but I will get photos on here in the next few days.
-Chelsea

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know the saying, "When in Rome do as the Romans do". I'm wondering how valuable your picture with the soldiers is - can't wait to see it! I'll bet it's amazing to see the age of the city. The oldest buildings in America are only a couple hundred years old - some of them must be thousands in Rome. May your Roman adventure be a wonderful experience. Stay away from the soldiers! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Chelsea,
I love hearing about your travels!!! You have a wonderful way of conveying things and I chortled to hear the photo op story!!! If you need money I am sure your Mom and I can come up with something (can you say E-bay?)
Take care and I will continue to track your progress and try to keep my envy in check!
You aren't missing anything here except hot muggy weather (and of course your beautiful Mom) but she is chained to her desk for educational opportunities!
Looking forward to your pix!
Christy

arin gilbert said...

yay! glad to hear you made over alright. i realy look forward to reading about your happenings and seeing all of your photos. i pray you have a fabulous time.

Anonymous said...

Chelsea,

Jordan gave me your blog sight.I'm glad to hear that everything is going well. It is admirable that you chose to do this by yourself. It will be a good experience.

I sense that you are lonely. Hang in there and you will be with friends soon.

Just relax and enjoy the sights, traditions, architecture, and people. They really are friendly.

You'll have wonderful memories to bring home.

Sincerely,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Did you have any spaghetti in Rome? How about pizza? Have you seen any Roman numerals? Are you going to eat some Romaine lettuce in Romania? Did you learn how to speak Italian? Hey, have a great trip. We'll keep checking to see where you are. Do you think your mom will pay my way to come see you? XXOO Bunny Man

Traveling Ladies said...

Hi Chels, Glad to hear you made it. Thinking about you everyday. Have fun dear. We are very proud of you and a little envious. Be safe. We love you! Aunt Linda, Uncle Brad and the gang

Anonymous said...

Hi Chelsea,
Your Mom showed me your blog so i can follow along with your adventures! Have wonderful journey!
Debbie Lilly